German and French
(ATA-certified Ger > Eng)
Author of short play "Dad's Guns"
24 Gun Control Plays, ed. Caridad Svich and Zac Kline
PEN Translation Fund
Ledig House International Writers Residency
Banff International Literary Translation Centre
Consulate General of Switzerland
Austrian Cultural Forum
Translation of drama and prose from German and French
Specializing in translating contemporary theatreRepresentation: Antje Oegel International
hamlet is dead. no gravity [hamlet ist tot. keine schwerkraft] by Ewald Palmetshofer: US premiere at Red Tape Theatre, Chicago, directed by Seth Bockley, Jan. 27 - Feb. 22, 2014.
Participant in panel "Translation for the Theater: a hotINK at the Lark/PEN American Center Collaboration," hotINK Festival of International Plays, Lark Play Development Center, New York, April 2013.
hamlet is dead. no gravity [hamlet ist tot. keine schwerkraft] by Ewald Palmetshofer: staged readings in Chicago (International Voices Project), March 2013, and Norwich, England (Chalk Circle Theatre Company), April 2013.
Participant, inaugural Translation Lab at Writers Omi at Ledig House, New York, November 2012, collaborating with Ewald Palmetshofer on translations of wohnen. unter glas and räuber.schuldengenital
Chirping Hill [Grillenparz] by Thomas Arzt: staged readings, Los Angeles, Washington, DC (Zeitgeist DC) - as featured in article in Washington Post - and New York, 2012.
The Test (Good Simon Korach) by Lukas Bärfuss
- from German, Die Probe (Der brave Simon Korach)Presented in staged reading, International Voices Project, Goethe-Institut Chicago, July 2012.
American Shot by Evelyne de la Chenelière and Daniel Brière
- from Canadian French, Le plan américain
Presented in staged reading, International Voices Project, Alliance Française, Chicago, June 2012.
Oil by Lukas Bärfuss
- from German, ÖlPresented in staged readings, Goethe-Institut Washington and Goethe-Institut Chicago, June 2011.
hamlet is dead. no gravity by Ewald Palmetshofer
- from German, hamlet ist tot. keine schwerkraftPresented in staged readings, Martin E. Segal Theatre Center, CUNY, New York, and Austrian Cultural Forum, Washington, DC, June 2011; also by One Year Lease at Playwrights Horizons, New York, November 2011.
Translation completed during residency at Ledig House International Writers Residency, Omi, New York, Fall 2010.
The Sexual Neuroses of our Parents by Lukas Bärfuss
- from German, Die Sexuellen Neurosen unserer ElternPublished by Nick Hern Books (2007), available in US through TCG.
- Gate Theatre, London, Aug.-Sep. 2007
- Electric Pear Productions, New York, Nov. 2008
- Luna Playhouse, Glendale, CA, Aug. 2009.
Tattoo by Igor Bauersima and Réjane Desvignes
- from German, TattooPublished in TheatreForum #35 (2009), with my introduction, "Art and Morality: The Plays of Igor Bauersima and Réjane Desvignes."
Translation completed with a fellowship to the Banff International Literary Translation Centre, Banff, Canada, June 2008.
- from GermanPublished in The Brecht Yearbook / Das Brecht Jahrbuch #35 (2010), with my translation of the author's "Three Paragraphs on Blackbox."
The Ballad of the Pine Tree Killer by Rebekka Kricheldorf
- from German, Die Ballade vom NadelbaumkillerPublished in The Mercurian vol. 1 no. 3, March 2008. Excerpts published in LMDA Review (The Newsletter of the Literary Managers and Dramaturgs of the Americas) 18.2 (Summer 2008), along with "'A Fundamental Resistance': An Interview with Neil Blackadder by Beth Gallagher."
Presented in staged readings at HERE Arts Center, New York, May 2006, as part of New German Voices 2006 reading series in German Theatre Abroad's Stadttheater New York, and at Duke University, April 2012, as part of Theatrical Translation as Creative Process conference.
The Lovers by Margareth Obexer
- from German, Die LiebendenCommissioned for Obexer's residency at Dartmouth College, Spring 2009.
Presented in a staged reading at Loeb Drama Center, Cambridge, June 2009, sponsored by the Goethe-Institut Boston.
Published in eXchanges, an online journal of literary translation published by the University of Iowa, Feb. 2012.
Rosa and Blanca by Rebekka Kricheldorf
- from German, Rosa und BlancaProduced at Knox College, Feb. 2008, and at Grinnell Arts Center, IA, July 2010.
Cold Cargo by Maxim Biller
- from German, KühltransportPresented in a staged reading at CUNY's Martin E. Segal Theatre Centrer, New York, May 2006, as part of the reading series Dis-Location and Re-Invention - International Plays about the Experience of Immigration, co-sponsored by the New Group and the Immigrants' Theatre Project. Translation sponsored by the Goethe-Institut.
Oswald and Zénaïde, or Asides by Jean Tardieu
- from French, Oswald et Zénaïde, ou les apartésPublished in Absinthe: New European Writing 4 (2005).
Dog, Woman, Man by Sibylle Berg
- from German, Hund, Frau, Mann, inspired by Yael Hedaya's story "Housebroken"Available for download from the Goethe-Institut's Theater Library website.
Prose & poetry"hears himself coming to the door" by Ernst Jandl
- from German, "hört sich an die Tür kommen"Published in Tongue 2, 2013.
"The Necessity of Art" by Margareth Obexer
- from German, "Die Notwendigkeit der Kunst"Published in limited edition pamphlet by Akademie Schloss Solitude, Stuttgart, 2010.
"A Better Life" by Martin Brinkmann
- from German, "Schöner leben"Published in Joyland Dec. 7, 2010.
"Inspired by Football" by Ralf Rothmann
- from German, "Erleuchtung durch Fußball."Published in Stand 7 (2007).
"Rue Laferrière" by Jacques Réda
- from French.Published in Two Lines XIV (2007). Republished in France: A Traveler's Literary Companion, ed. William Rodarmor and Anna Livia (Whereabouts Press, 2008).
"The Speech-Animal" by Sibylle Lewitscharoff
- from German, "Das Sprachtier."Published in Chelsea 80 (2006).
"Prevent Forest Fires!" by Christoph-Wilhelm Aigner
- from German, "Verhindert Waldbrände!"Published in Thorny Locust 12 (2004).
Selected presentations"Plays in translation on and off Broadway in the 1960s," working session on 'Center-Staging the 60s,' American Society for Theatre Research conference, Montreal, November 2011
"'Die Qual der Wahl' [the agony of choice]: decision-making in the translation process," Fridays at Four presentation, Knox College, September 2011
Featured speaker, Helen and Kurt Wolff Translation Symposium at the Goethe-Institut Chicago, June 2011
Panelist, "Directors and translators: a dialog," American Literary Translators Association conference, Philadelphia, October 2010
Panelist, discussion with playwright Lukas Bärfuss and his translators in symposium "De la page au plateau: Traduire le théâtre," Lausanne, Switzerland, June 2010
British but now living in the US -
I translate into American or British English
Cell: (309) 299-0184
Professor of Theatre,
More information about my research, directing, and teaching
on my Knox web page